In case you missed it, like we did here, the first annual SepticSmart Week was held by US EPA September 23-27, 2013. So mark your calendars for NEXT YEAR. We share some of the information here, which is always relevant to those on septic systems and encourage shorefront property owners to visit the SepticSmart website and the EPA OnSite Wastewater website.
During the first annual SepticSmart Week, September 23-27, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) encouraged homeowners to get SepticSmart and take action. A few small, simple steps of proper care and maintenance of your septic system can lead to a big pay off in terms of keeping you and your neighbors healthy and protecting the environment. For homeowners, proper care can also prevent costly repairs or replacement of systems, protect property values, and save water.
Each Day EPA reminded homeowners to do the following:
- Day 1 – September 23: Protect It and Inspect It! Homeowners can save more than $10,000 in repair and replacement costs if they have their septic system inspected at an average cost of $200-350 at least every 3-5 years by a septic service professional. Visit [HERE] to learn more and get SepticSmart.
- Day 2 – September 24: Think at the sink! Whether you flush down the toilet, grind it in the garbage disposal, or pour it down the sink, shower, or bath…what goes down the drain can have a major impact on how well your septic system works. Visit [HERE] to learn more and get SepticSmart.
- Day 3 – September 25: Don’t overload the commode! Only put things in the drain or toilet that belong there. For example, coffee grounds, dental floss, disposable diapers and wipes, feminine hygiene products, cigarette butts, and cat litter can all clog and potentially damage septic systems. Visit [HERE] to learn more and get SepticSmart.
- Day 4 – September 26: Don’t strain your drain! Efficient use of water and staggering water can not only improve the operation of your septic system but also reduce the risk of failure as well. Visit [HERE] to learn more and get SepticSmart.
- Day 5 – September 27: Shield your field! What is placed on or around your drainfield—a component of your septic system that removes contaminants from the liquid that emerges from your septic tank – matters. Visit [HERE] to learn more and get SepticSmart.